NEW RELIC, INC. INTERNSHIP
UX/UI Design Interntimeline
May 2022 - August 2022tools
Adobe Creative Cloud, Figma, Google Analytics, Crazy Egg
In the summer of 2022, I had the opportunity to join New Relic, a web tracking and analytics company, as a UX/UI design intern. During my internship, I established New Relic's design system components, designed customer-facing pages on the company's website, and increased user sign-up interactions by 33% through quantitative data analysis and A/B tests.
+ Worked with the Creative Director & Strategy Team Lead Analyst and interacted with Product Designers, SWEs, and Graphic Designers.
How might we utilize existing and/or new components from the design system to increase the user sign-up conversion rate?
- Sign-up conversion rate goal is not met from the homepage
- Goal: 8%
Current standing: 5.4%
01. research insights
1.1 google analytics
Analyzing the points at which users were leaving the website or application prematurely.
- Sign-up conversion rate goal is to reach 8% which is approx. 48.15% increase from the starting point
Understanding design opportunity areas by studying the heatmap.
- Found two main areas to improve on, both located at the bottom of the hero section
- Both design elements suggested users to scroll past the sign-up CTA
1.3 solidifying project goal
Design a homepage that allows users to retrieve product information at a glance more efficiently and effectively.
2.1 design solution
Implementing "quick-links" to present the benefits of the product to the users.
- Items in the list need to be concise and informative
- List must not distract users from the main goal of action: interacting with the sign-up CTA button
Design component mockup and WCAG compliance considerations.
3.1 a/b testing
Setting up the test with the variant being the presence of quick-links" on the homepage.
3.2 google analytics results
Quantitative data: goal was to reach 8% for the sign-up conversion rate on the homepage.
- Recall that the starting sign-up conversion rate was 5.4%. Overall, test A (one with the variant “list of capabilities”) performed better than test B
- The lower exit and bounce rates in test A indicate better user engagement and user retention
3.3 heatmap results
Qualitative data: user activity shown over the course of 2 weeks.
04. final design